To My Fellow Chapter Members,
I trust all of you are enjoying your summer, I mean spring. I must have missed this, but given our weather, it would appear that Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware have moved closer to the equator. Hope this isn’t a precursor for what to expect come July/August.
The chapter year is in its final quarter and we are finishing with a bang! Our joint event with ACFE and FIRMA entitled “The Volatile Economy and Fraud” held on March 9 drew a record attendance of 114 people. Thanks go to Joe Murphy and his colleagues at ACFE (Rich Sobine) and FIRMA (Fran Thomas) for developing the program, and to Joe Kobulsky at Exelon for hosting the attendees.
Experis (formerly Jefferson Wells) hosted a networking event on March 20 featuring Alex Nemiroff from the law firm of Jackson Lewis, who spoke about the risks with social media. Following Alex’s presentation, attendees enjoyed food and refreshments and some networking. Thanks to Mafalda Dennett and Monica Lucas from our Membership Committee, Sam Monastra for securing our speaker and Experis for the use of their facilities.
Our annual spring conference on April 2, “Internal Auditing – Advocate for Doing the Right Thing”, was a record success, as the attendee count including speakers and sponsors tallied over 500! Unbelievable! We heard from 3 keynotes who recounted their personal stories of involvement with some of the highest profile accounting scandals in Corporate America history: Sherron Watkins – whistleblower at Enron; Aaron Beam – co-founder and former CFO of HealthSouth; and Sam Antar – former CFO at Crazy Eddie’s. In addition, we heard from an assortment of speakers throughout the day representing both professional services and industry who covered some of the current hot topics in our profession. A huge shout-out goes to Alec Arons, Bill Donehower, and the planning committee for delivering this great event.
Looking ahead we have a few programs coming up before this Chapter year closes:
- On Friday, May 11, DuPont will host our first Delaware CPE event in several years entitled “Internal Audit’s Role in Due Diligence”. Attendees will earn 4 CPE hours for a member registration fee of $75. Be on the lookout for the email with registration details.
- For all you Phillies’ fans, keep Tuesday May 22 open as our Chapter will be sponsoring a combination CPE and networking event at Citizens Bank Park. Join us from 5 to 6 PM as IIA Board member Mike Brozzetti will talk about “Ethical Dilemmas Impacting Internal Audit and Their Organizations”, followed by food and beverages in one of the suites at 6, and capped off by a night of great baseball action as the Phils host the Washington Nationals. All of this is offered to our members for a cost of $40; a bargain by any measurement!
In addition to our Chapter programs, there are a few newsworthy topics to bring to your attention:
- Our membership has ratified the 2012-2013 Chapter Officers and Board complement. Congratulations to Trish Silvasy, who will begin her term as your President in June, and will be supported by Jonathan Marks (1st VP), Gretchen Gray (2nd VP), Alec Arons (3rd VP), Amy Gagliardi (Treasurer), and Sam Monastra (Secretary). I have no doubt that Trish and her team will serve our membership and profession in an exceptional manner.
- As I highlighted in the last newsletter, the 2012 IIA International Conference, “Revolutionizing Internal Audit!” is scheduled for July 8-11 in Boston, Massachusetts. Register at http://www.iia2012ic.org/.
- I suspect that as you read this, the new IIA website built on a SharePoint platform will be “live”. Amy Gagliardi has been working with HQ to both improve navigability and develop content. I am really excited to see this new and improved Chapter medium.
- Lastly I am pleased to report that as of this writing, our Chapter has earned “Gold” status for the 7th consecutive year. This is a well-deserved honor for all Chapter volunteers who are dedicated to serving us and our profession. Congratulations!
I encourage you to access the Chapter website at http://www.theiia.org/chapters/index.cfm/view.events/cid/5 to stay connected. I will also periodically send e-mails outlining Chapter events and news to keep you informed. Please keep your IIA contact information current so we can be sure you receive Chapter and event details.
I look forward to your continued interest and support, and hope to see you at a future Chapter event.
IIA Philadelphia Chapter