Chapter News and Events
It's a fantastic time to join the IIA New York Chapter! When signing up, remember to set your Chapter affiliation to New York so you get access to our mailing list.
Members enjoy many benefits including:
- Networking & Connecting: Enjoy local networking programs, along with national and international conferences, to connect with a real community of 210,000+ like-minded industry leaders and peers from around the world.
- Savings & Discounts: Save on in-person, online, and on-demand learning opportunities, along with the Certified Internal Auditor® (CIA®) designation. Plus, member discounts on products, publications, and CPE reporting.
- Learning & Leading: Sharpen competencies on the latest topics and techniques with world class courses and conferences facilitated by world-renowned leaders. Plus, access valuable career resources in the Audit Career Center.
- News & Views: Stay informed and up-to-date with the latest trends, opinions, and headlines from Internal Auditor magazine. Plus, our annual risk report and corporate governance index serve up must-read and relevant data.
- Standards & Guidance: Access exclusive guidance on day-to-day issues affecting internal auditors worldwide. Plus, become more effective and efficient by following industry standards to perform any audit, anywhere.
- Volunteering & Contributing: Develop leadership skills and help transform the profession as an IIA committee or board volunteer, event presenter, or contributing author in one of our many information outlets.
- Members-only Webinars
- Complimentary CPE Reporting
For each season, the IIA New York Chapter puts together a newsletter that is sent to all members. Each newsletter consists of a message from the president, information on events and webinars that the chapter is planning to host, information on certifications, featured articles, and bookstore highlights. The newsletter sent out each season is used to connect with our members so that they receive all the resources necessary. Our goal as a chapter is to help advocate and promote the profession, and we hope to do just that.
Virtual Conference: Data Prep/Modeling (Intermediary)
Date: January 12, 2024
CPE Credit: 4.5
Welcome to the IIA New York Chapter
The IIA was established in 1941, in New York City. The IIA - NY Chapter has almost 4,000 members and is the largest chapter for many years now. The NY Chapter was the first chapter and is one of 159 chapters in North America serving more than 70,000 members in the United States, Canada, and the Caribbean.
Many training events, including workshops, conferences, and webinars are sponsored and given by the NY Chapter, but we also strongly support the same given by IIA HQ, including CIA exam prep training, other webinars, and conferences referenced below. We also partner in training and CIA exam prep training given by St. John's University.
This site is dedicated to promoting and advocating the profession and many benefits and events provided by the NY Chapter and The IIA. Please explore the site routinely and frequently for details on the operations and governance of the NY Chapter, and the very informative links to HQ events, resources, and tools. We also have a separate LinkedIn page for the NY Chapter and issue quarterly newsletters.
If you have information, you'd like to include on our chapter website, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Executive Vice President
Vice President, Professional Development
Vice President, Professional Services
Vice President, Treasurer
Vice President, Secretary
ARC & Advocacy Officer, Membership Officer
The IIA NY Chapter provides funding through contributions to the Internal Audit Foundation’s Academic Fund (IAFAF), university endowments, and individual scholarship awards. Last year, scholarships were awarded to students from Pace University and St. John's University in the amount of $21,000. Additionally, the Chapter is working to expand outreach to other Universities and scholarship recipients. As a result, and going forward, we have budgeted and enhanced our criteria for scholarship awards as approved by the Academic Relations Committee and the Chapter’s Board.
Dear Members of the IIA New York Chapter,
It is my great honor and pleasure to welcome you to the 2023-2024 chapter year of the Institute of Internal Auditors New York Chapter. As we embark on this new journey together, I am filled with pride for the incredible strides we have made as a community and excitement for the opportunities ahead. It is an honor and a privilege to lead this exceptional community into a year that promises growth, collaboration, and meaningful connections.
Our chapter has a rich history of fostering professional growth, knowledge sharing, and networking among internal auditors across New York. In the face of ever-evolving challenges and complexities, our role as internal auditors has never been more crucial. Our commitment to upholding the highest standards of ethics, transparency, and accountability remains unwavering.
This chapter year, we are focusing on three key pillars that will serve as the foundation for our success:
- Knowledge Enhancement: We are offering a diverse range of webinars and conferences led by experts who will equip you with the latest tools and insights. Our continuous learning journey will empower you to excel in your roles and navigate the complexities of our profession with confidence. Some of the exciting events planned for this year include a series of webinars on the latest trends in internal auditing, specialized conferences focused on Public and Financial Services sectors, and Annual Audit Conference with top-notch speakers on hot topics.
- Collaboration and Networking: Our chapter is a diverse community of professionals with a wealth of experience and insights to share. I encourage you to actively engage with your peers and exchange ideas. Let's stay connected not only during our formal gatherings but also through social media platforms like LinkedIn, where we can post and share our thoughts, fostering ongoing conversations and connections. We will also be hosting a variety of networking and social events throughout the year, serving as platforms for building lasting relationships that transcend professional boundaries.
- Advocacy and Campus Outreach: Advocacy is essential in elevating the recognition of our profession's value. We will champion internal auditing within organizations and the business community at large. As part of our commitment to nurturing future auditors, we will engage in campus outreach programs, inspiring students to join our ranks and guiding them toward fulfilling careers. Some of the events planned for this year include a presentation to students at a local university about the importance of internal auditing and a scholarship program for students interested in pursuing a career in internal auditing.
I invite all of you to actively participate in our chapter's activities and contribute your unique perspectives. Whether you are a seasoned professional or new to the field, your presence and engagement are invaluable in shaping the success of our chapter.
I also want to take a moment to express my deep appreciation for our dedicated volunteers. As we are run entirely by volunteers, they are the heart of our chapter, and their hard work is essential to our success. I am genuinely grateful for their unswerving commitment.
Thank you for entrusting me with the privilege of leading this esteemed community. Your active involvement will be the driving force behind our shared success. Here's to a year filled with growth, learning, and shared achievements.
NY Chapter President - IIA
The IIA New York Chapter has received the Ruby Chapter Achievement (20+ years of Gold status) on a consistent basis and has reached the Sapphire Achievement (25 years of Gold status) for the cumulative efforts leading up to the prior Chapter Year. The Chapter continues to aim for Gold status this current chapter year, to
The Chapter Achievement Program (CAP) is an achievement and recognition program for chapters that uses points to recognize chapter activities that align with the North American Strategic Plan. The program helps to set minimum standards of performance for service to members and to the profession. It also provides a means to evaluate chapter success.
Status levels are progressive. The chapter must fulfill all Bronze requirements to achieve Bronze status, all Bronze and Silver requirements to achieve Silver status, and all Bronze, Silver and Gold requirements to achieve Gold status
Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) Certification (theiia.org): Certified Internal Auditor® (CIA®) is the only globally recognized internal audit certification. It is the optimum way to communicate knowledge, skills, and competencies to effectively carry out professional responsibilities for any internal audit, anywhere in the world.
Certification in Risk Management Assurance (theiia.org): The IIA’s Certification in Risk Management Assurance® (CRMA®) is the only risk management assurance certification for internal auditors. The program has been updated to provide advanced skill sets that are required for effective risk management assurance to audit committees and executive management.
Qualification in Internal Audit Leadership (theiia.org): Qualification in Internal Audit Leadership® (QIAL®) is the premier designation for internal audit executives. The QIAL conveys to your stakeholders that you have what it takes to lead a quality internal audit activity and provide senior management and the board with reliable assurance.
Steps to become certified in the profession:
Step 1 - Apply: Create a profile in The IIA’s Certification Candidate Management System (CCMS) or access an existing profile. CCMS is a user-friendly system to help you apply for, register, and maintain your certification and related information while keeping you connected to and informed about The IIA’s certification programs. Upload required documents for program approval (education, government-issued photo ID) directly within the CCMS. Obtain character reference(s) electronically via the CCMS. You will not be able to register for the exam until your documents and application are approved.
Step 2 – Test: Access your profile in CCMS. Click “Manage Program.” Register for the exam or exam part. Schedule your exam.
Step 3 – Become Certified: Complete your experience verification. Receive your certification. Access your certificate via the CCMS. A printed copy may be obtained with a fee.
Report Continuing Professional Education (CPE) - Reporting is free all year round via Certification Candidate Management System (CCMS: https://ccms.theiia.org/ ). The deadline is Dec. 31 each year, or your qualification may become expired (and subject to reinstatement fee).
If actively practicing internal audit or related activated you need 40 CPE hours for CIA and 20 CPE hours for CCSA, CGAP, CFSA, CRMA, QIAL If non-actively performing internal audit or related activities you need 20 CPE hours for CIA and 10 CPE hours for CCSA, CGAP, CFSA, CRMA, QIAL
Note: you must include at least 2 hours of ethics training each year Contact your certification officer for more information-- email@example.com
Take advantage of prep classes available to assist you on your journey to become a CIA:
The IIA’s Academic Relations Committee (ARC) encourages IIA chapters to create a local ARC to promote the profession and to enhance internal auditing education. The NY Chapter of the IIA and its local Academic Relations Committee have developed an ongoing program and various strategies for carrying the profession into the classroom and beyond. Our program will promote the overall mission of ARC globally while involving universities, faculty, and students in the NY locale and IA professionals from our membership. The NY Committee has established a strong relationship with St. John’s University and continues to support St. John’s in maintaining its top-tier status as a Center for Internal Audit Excellence. The ARC has traditionally received a strong level of support from the Chapter’s Executive Committee and the NY Board.
Internal Audit Awareness Program
The IIA-NY Chapter is proud to announce that, with our collaboration and full endorsement, Pace University has been accepted into The IIA’s Academic Awareness Program!
This prestigious program has been created to recognize the commitment and effort universities are making to provide students with the information and skill sets necessary to choose an internal auditing career. The IIA commends colleges and universities that promote internal audit awareness and education through their curricula.
With acceptance into this program, Pace qualifies for research grants and will now be listed as an IIA Internal Audit Academic Awareness Program university.
Pace’s application into this program was fully supported by Dean Singleton of the business school, and the designated coordinator will be Professor Charles Tang, who oversees and helps develop the curriculum related to necessary IA skill sets, with courses including Internal Auditing, Advanced Auditing & Analytics, IS Security and Control, and Accounting Info Systems.
Pace University has a long history of having students recruited into leading audit firms and companies seeking internal audit staff and management. Pace is the number one private university in the nation for social mobility and has an extremely diverse student body, including large numbers of first generation students, and first to go to college in their family (key factors in social mobility ratings).
Our chapter’s academic relations committee is working with Pace to also apply for the IA Education Partnership program with the IIA, before this year’s October deadline.
Date Event Type Event Name CPE Credit 9/22/2023 - Friday Virtual Hot Topics and Audit Soft Skills 8 10/20/2023 - Friday Virtual Cybersecurity 4 12/01/2023 - Friday Virtual Hands-on Data Analytics for Intelligent Auditing - PowerBI (Track Course): Essentials 1 3.5 12/08/2023 - Friday Virtual Hands-on Data Analytics for Intelligent Auditing - PowerBI (Track Course): Essentials 2 3.5 1/12/2024 - Friday Virtual Data Prep/Modeling (Intermediary) 4.5 1/19/2024 - Friday Virtual Best Practices for Data Visualization (Beginner) 3.5 1/26/2024 - Friday Virtual Public Sector Conference 5 2/29/2024 - Thursday In-Person Financial Services Conference 7 4/5/2024 - Friday Virtual Fraud & Ethics 5 5/2/2024 - Thursday In-Person Annual Conference 7 Total CPE Credits 51
*Later events in 2024 are subject to change.