The first stop toward success.
To support students as well as new and rotational auditors on their journey into internal auditing, The IIA is pleased to announce the revised education and employment requirements of the Internal Audit Practitioner program. The Internal Audit Practitioner designation is a great way to demonstrate internal audit aptitude. Active Internal Audit Practitioners opens a new pathway to the Certified Internal Auditor®️ (CIA®️) designation, the only globally recognized certification for internal audit practitioners around the world.
Candidates will have two years to complete the Internal Audit Practitioner program from the date approved into the program. You may showcase this designation on your CV or resume for a three-year validity. No CPE is required and the designation is non-renewable after three years.Get Started
Who Should Pursue Internal Audit Practitioner Designation?
- University Students - Graduating with the Internal Audit Practitioner designation reflects your commitment to entering the profession with the fundamental knowledge needed to begin contributing immediately.
- Beginner Internal Auditors - Obtaining this designation allows you to make a statement about your knowledge and aptitude as you progress through the CIA program.
- Rotational Internal Auditors - This designation is ideal for rotational auditors as it quickly demonstrates your knowledge and aptitude of The IIA Standards.
- Managers of Internal Audit Activities - This designation helps demonstrate that your internal auditors are well-versed in internal audit basics and establishes a common foundation of skills and knowledge related to internal audit best practices.
- 5 syllabus domains, each dealing with a set of IIA Standards
- 2-hour examination
- 100 multiple-choice questions
- Testing Center or Online Testing*
- Two years to complete the examinations once approved
- Three years to designation validity after passing
- Three years to enroll in the CIA
- One Hundred Self-Study Practice Questions Included with approved application
To support the continued professional development of certification candidates around the world and in response to test center closures, The IIA is now offering online testing in some regions.Learn More
Additional IIA Certifications
Certified Internal Auditor
As the only globally recognized internal audit certification, becoming a Certified Internal Auditor®️ (CIA®️) is the optimum way to communicate knowledge, skills, and competencies to effectively carry out professional responsibilities for any internal audit, anywhere in the world.
The Internal Audit Practitioner program demonstrates internal audit aptitude and foundational knowledge of the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing. It is ideal for university students and beginner or rotational internal auditors. Active Internal Audit Practitioners opens a new pathway to the Certified Internal Auditor designation.
Once completing the Internal Audit Practitioner application, you will only need to upload your proof of ID and complete the digital character reference through your CCMS record to become approved into the program. Education and experience are not required to enroll and complete the program.
Information on how to access your Internal Audit Practitioner study material is included in the program approval confirmation email from The IIA. This email includes your customized access code along with information on how to access the interactive exam preparation materials.
The Internal Audit Practitioner is not a renewable certification. It is designed as a pathway into the Certified Internal Auditor program. As such, the designation will expire three years after it was earned.